Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Egg free banana bread

As is usually the case a few days before grocery shopping, I have no eggs and a random assortment of things that I need to make TODAY RIGHT NOW ASAP EMERGENCY before they go bad. I need to really get up on my meal planning. And of course, since I am just not planning much these days, I decided to make banana bread with a few extra ripe bananas and got pretty well into the batter before I remembered, "I have no eggs. Hello." More coffee, anyone? Luckily for me, I keep a box of milled flax seed in the refrigerator. Well, lucky depending on who you ask. You can usually substitute one TB of flax and 3 TB of water for one egg. I took a chance and tried it out. This is my mother's recipe, but with a few changes. It turned out wonderfully!

No Egg Banana Bread

3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup ripe, mashed banana
2 TB milled flax seed
6 TB water
1 TS vanilla
1 TS cinnamon
2 cups flour
1 TS baking soda
1 TS salt
1/2 cup sour milk
1 cup mini chocolate chips or walnuts (optional)

Cream the butter and sugar. Add banana, water, flax and vanilla and mix well. Sift together the dry ingredients and add alternately with sour milk. Fold in mini chocolate chips or walnuts if you're feeling a little adventurous. If you're baking for someone like The Husband, then leave these out. There's no time for frills when it comes to banana bread! He says.  Grease two small loaf pans and bake in a preheated oven at 350* for about an hour (until a knife or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the loaf.) These freeze well, if you have the room!


No comments:

Post a Comment